Module price to remain elevated for 18 months at least as global demand skyrockets - Module prices are to remain elevated for the next 18 months at least, with any additional manufacturing capacity set to be quickly swallowed by soaring demand and capacity addition outside of China considered risky, Finlay Colville, head of market research at Solar Media, has said. Speaking at the Solar Finance and Investment Europe (SFIE) event in London, organized by PV Tech publisher Solar Media, Colville said the demand for solar modules has increased beyond recognition in the past year and particularly since the COP26 climate conference in Glasgow in November. He said demand for modules is about 25-30% higher than what the industry can supply and that roughly 30% of modules produced today never leave China, meaning the rest of the world is vying for the remaining 70%.
Challenges and Opportunities for EV Charging at Scale, with Neha Palmer Ep #60 – In this episode of Smart Energy Voices, host John Failla has a conversation with Neha Palmer, CEO of EV charging infrastructure developer at TeraWatt infrastructure. Many also know her as the former head of Energy Strategy at Google.
DOE turns to energy storage to build resilience, energy affordability in underserved communities - More than 65% of low-income households across the U.S. face a high energy burden, and more than 30% of all households have experienced energy insecurity, according to the DOE. The ES4SE initiative was created to address these problems, and help urban, rural, and tribal disadvantaged communities find energy storage technologies that work for them.
Storage facilities have the ability to address many of these challenges, regulators say. For instance, they can be integrated into peaking facilities – often located near disadvantaged communities and vulnerable populations – to shrink emissions of greenhouse gases and other pollutants. "From a system-wide perspective, if energy storage – depending on when it’s deployed – can offset the need for fossil fuel generators, it could reduce the need to run those facilities or retire them altogether," Jin Noh, policy director of the California Energy Storage Alliance, noted.